Tips for good fashion design and dressmaking
Good creative skills are essential for the specialized areasfashion design and dressmaking. Consequently, it is important to have a comprehensive understanding of the industry and be able to apply acquired skills in a theoretical and practical manner. Lifestyle Learning Direct, one of the Gold Coast’s premier online learning and correspondence course providers, suggests that in order to be a good fashion designer or dressmaker you need to be able to:
1. Understand fashion trends, clothing ranges and colour groups.
2. Learn to know how to work patterns – Flat model, business models, tracking mode and pattern blocks – read mode, select mode, size, and basic knowledge of the pattern has changed.
4. Be aware of the scope and quality of many fibers and fabrics available today – natural and artificial fibers, fashion fabrics, modern developments and special fabrics – which is very important to your creations.
5. Be familiar with the tools and equipment necessary for good dressmaking: scissors, tape measure, pins, machine needles, hand needles, stitch ripper, tailor’s chalk, haberdashery, sewing machine, overlocker, iron, ironing board, full-length mirror, flat cutting surface and storage.
6. Be familiar with sewing in zippers and sleeves, buttonholes, belt, the kind of seams, seam types, stretch sewing, and so on.
7. Current design of the collection of the use of fashion drawing and design skills, as well as in charge of the use of colors and themes.
8. Understand what projects will fit life and activities of the customer and know the basic body shapes, hairstyles, makeup trends and how to design a wardrobe.
9. Know how to build a system to study the customer, the basic business structure and type of operation.
How can you become a better Fashion Designer and Dressmaker?
To gain professional fashion design and dressmaking proficiency, it is best to undertake a specialised course that teaches you the essential skills. Lifestyle Learning Direct is a leader in the provision of writing distance education courses that aim to give students a broad understanding of the industry competency regarding both the theoretical and practical application of this knowledge.
Apart from understanding the application of various dressmaking and design skills, by learning elementary drawing techniques to professionally define your creative visions, you can uncover clever ways of presenting your designs and using various media to lift your work.
Recognize and anticipate fashion trends, develop a design theme, and an understanding of the process and the functioning offashion haute couture industry. Also, learn how to identify, select and find the fibres that make your clothing stand out from the rest by perfectly balancing style and function.
If you dream of being your own boss, as well as the theory of fashion design and dressmaking you also need to know the practical aspects of how to set up in business.
For more information in relation to fashion design and dressmaking, please contact Lifestyle Learning Direct.